Sunday, December 1, 2013

Beginning Advent This Year


“Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” 
Piglet dio cuenta de que a pesar de que tenía un pequeño corazón, se podría celebrar una cantidad bastante grande de gratitud.
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
Yes, let's be happy, the Starbucks in Madrid poster reminded us.
Sí, seamos felices, nos recordó el cartel de Starbucks en Madrid.
So true. My small heart can hold a lot of gratitude. Well, sometimes. Ok. It's just that most of the time, I have to jot down those positive things, those happy seconds or moments and commit them to memory, read them and even meditate on them. If not, the emptiness that tears away at my heart during this season of family and tradition relentlessly stalks my joy, like the proverbial lion. Survival, therefore, is contingent on taking every single thought captive, discarding those thoughts of unbearable pain and instead, embracing each blessing at hand, no matter how small.

Muy cierto. Mi pequeño corazón puede albergar una gran cantidad de gratitud. Bueno, a veces. Ok, lo que pasa es que la mayoría de las veces, tengo que tomar nota de las cosas positivas, esos segundos o momentos felices y memorizarlos, leerlos e incluso meditar sobre ellos. Si no es así, si no lo hago, el vacío que desgarra mi corazón de la familia y la tradición durante esta temporada acecha implacablemente mi alegría, al igual que ese león de los proverbios. Por lo tanto, la supervivencia depende de someter cada pensamiento, desechando esos pensamientos de dolor insoportable y, en su lugar, aferrarse a las bendiciones que tenemos a mano, no importa cuán pequeñas sean.
Every year in Spain we've continued to make our Advent Prayer Rings,
these are from the first year, next to one of those melons with which Enrique makes the best angel hair jam.
Cada año en España hemos continuado haciendo nuestros Anillos de Oración de Adviento, éstos son los del primer año al lado de una de esas calabazas con las que Enrique hace el mejor cabello de ángel.
On December 1st my four kids and I always made colored paper rings to countdown to Christmas, taking off one ring a day and praying for the person whose name was inside.
This year's Advent will also be one of rings, but unlike other years, besides remembering loved ones in prayer, I've committed to writing on the other side of each ring at least one blessing from each day, just one significant, beautiful or interesting detail that made that day special.

El 1 de diciembre mis cuatro hijos y yo hacíamos siempre anillos de papel de colores para la cuenta atrás hasta la Navidad, quitando un anillo cada día y orando por la persona cuyo nombre estaba dentro. El Adviento de este año también será de los anillos, pero además de recordar a los seres queridos en la oración, estoy comprometida a escribir en el otro lado de cada anillo las bendiciones de ese día, sencillamente un detalle importante, bello o interesante que hizo ese día especial.
The mailbox at the town hall where children (or rather, anyone who wants)
leave their special requests for The Three Kings
El buzón de correo en el ayuntamiento, donde los niños 
(es decir, quien quiera) dejan sus peticiones especiales 
para los Reyes Magos.
I grieve. I miss my family, traditions, my home.
Me aflijo. Echo de menos a mi familia, mis tradiciones, mi hogar.

I question everything some days - my choices, my responses to others' choices, some over which I've had and others over which I have had no control, and I still don't understand purpose in it all. I don't see the meaning of God answering our prayers in such a bewildering way. And yet, this week I remembered Joseph, and Daniel and even Job. I'm quite sure they didn't know how or why when they were in the middle of the swirl. Just stop asking. Just look up. So, although it might be a colossal effort to be thankful, finding the blessing on some half-full days is what it's going to take. Courage for me is to say thank you and mean it, when the same gratitude is outweighed by pain.
But, making it public here will help.
So, blessings will come in the following posts this month.
And, don't forget to watch the video. It's amazing!

Algunos días pongo en duda todo - mis decisiones, mis reacciones a las decisiones de otros, sobre las que no he tenido y no tengo control, y aún sigo sin entender el significado de todo ello. No veo el sentido que ha tenido Dios respondiendo a mis oraciones de manera tan desconcertante. Y, sin embargo, esta semana me acordé de José y Daniel, e incluso de Job. Estoy completamente segura de que no sabían el cómo ni el por qué, cuando estaban en el medio de la torbellino. Símplemente deja de preguntar. Basta con mirar hacia arriba. Así, a pesar de que podría ser un colosal esfuerzo el estar agradecida, encontrar la bendición en algunos días medio-llenos es lo necesario. La valentía para mí es dar las gracias y decirlo de verdad cuando dicho agradecimiento hecho a propósito es superado por el dolor. 
Sin embargo hacerlo público ayudará. 
Por esto en las próximas entradas de este mes vendrán los agradecimientos. 
Y, no te olvides de ver el video. Es increíble!
Typical Christmas window greeting in Spain.
Típico saludo navideño de ventana en España.
“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.

La felicidad es consecuencia de un esfuerzo personal. Luchas por conseguirla, te la trabajas, insistes en encontrarla y hasta viajas por el mundo buscándola. Pero, cuando la alcanzas, tienes que luchar a brazo partido por mantenerla, procurando nadar siempre a favor de la corriente en el río de tu felicidad, para mantenerte a flote."
Elizabeth Gilbert: Eat, Pray, Love / Come, Reza, Ama.
Shops, cafés and restaurants along the side corridors of the Plaza Mayor in León.
Tiendas, cafés y restaurantes en los soportales de la Plaza Mayor en León.
Other Advents you might want to follow:  
A Holy Experience - blog
A Printable Advent - link
Avent Bible made personal - study in scriptures

6 comments:

  1. You are a synonym of Love!!!
    I understand you because my family is far from me, but they're always in my heart.
    And we met togheter!!
    I love you and you love me!! It's amazing!!! :)
    Kisses !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chayo! And you are friendship and understanding at every turn. The Thanksgiving cookies were such a lovely touch!
      Be sure to read the final translation that wasn't there when you first read this post. I think it must originally have been confusing.
      Sweet dreams!

      Delete
  2. Mary - what a moving and, at times, heart rending post this is. Like Chayo above, I also understand where 'you are coming from' in the words you write as I was far away from my birth family for all but one Christmas during my adult life and now, my own little family - ie my daughter and grandaughter are, in turn, far away from me.....I shall seem 'my girls' next week though, when my Exhusband Damien and I fly up to Broome, in our North West, to spend a few pre-christmas days with them.......Love and Blessings to you dear Mary...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan for sharing a comment here. I love sisterhood and know we found a moment of true connect. Blessings this season!

      Delete
  3. Mucha paz y felicidad para estas fiestas que se acercan. Aunque la familia esté lejos, a través del éter estarán junto a ti. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mis deseos de que tengáis una muy Feliz Navidad para ti y los tuyos. Un enorme abrazo mi querida amiga.

    ReplyDelete