Thursday, November 24, 2011

Passing the Pumpkin

Thanksgiving
When living on the other side of the world an American must live Thanksgiving vicariously through the entries and posts of others. The spirit of gratitude is grounded in me nonetheless. Just as my family and I would pass the little orange pumpkin basket around the table, each taking out three kernels of corn and sharing his or her three biggest blessings, I've reflected on the gifts God has bestowed on me this year.
Cuando vive en el otro lado del mundo una americana tiene que vivir el Día de Acción de Gracias vicariamente a través de las entradas y posts de otros. El espíritu de gratitud es firme en mí no obstante. Igual que como mi familia y yo pasábamos la pequeña cesta de calabaza naranja alrededor de la mesa, cada uno tomaba tres granos de maíz y compartía sus tres más grandes bendiciones, yo he reflexionado en los regalos que Dios me ha otorgado este año.

If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you,"that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart
Tabuyo del Monte, España, October 2011
Kernel of Corn - Grano de Maíz 1 
I am thankful that all of my children are well and all four are going to be with each other, with cousins and family to celebrate the day. I love being in contact with them on an ongoing basis, especially on days like this one. I would like to be with them, because I miss them terribly, but they assure me and I believe that they are well and thriving. I'm very thankful, as well, for Christmas vacation and Easter break when we will hug each other and be together in person.
Estoy agradecida por que todos mis hijos están bien y todos los cuatro estarán juntos, con primos y familia celebrando el día. Me encanta estar en contacto con ellos de continuo, especialmente en días como éste. Me encantaría estar con ellos, pues les echo de menos terriblemente, pero ellos me aseguran y yo les creo que están bien y creciendo. Estoy muy agradecida, además, por las vacaciones de Navidad y Semana Santa cuando nos abrazaremos y estaremos juntos en persona.

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts.  No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. - H.U. Westermayer
Tabuyo del Monte, España, October 2011
Kernel of Corn - Grano de Maíz 2
I am thankful for the kind and attentive Spanish husband with whom I am privileged to share the rest of my days. He writes. He loves reading me poetry, scripture, and excerpts from favorite reads. He likes to analyze films and books. All in my love-language, Spanish, which sounds like music since my early childhood days of bonding with my Mexican nanny. He makes me fresh squeezed orange juice in the mornings not to mention many delicious meals, photographs with me wherever we go and puts a heater under our feet on cold nights. He is enthusiastic about many things, but most of all, about being with me. I never imagined such a different and lovely life. I never imagined feeling so loved.
Estoy agradecida por el cariñoso y atento esposo español con quien tengo el privilegio de compartir el resto de mis días. Él escribe. Le gusta leerme poesía, la Escritura, y extractos de lecturas favoritas. Le gusta analizar películas y libros. Todo en mi amado lenguaje español, que me suena como música desde los días de mi tierna infancia vinculada a mi niñera mexicana. Él me exprime zumo de naranja cada mañana, sin mencionar muchas comidas deliciosas, fotografía conmigo dondequiera que vamos y pone un brasero bajo nuestros pies en las noches frías. Es entusiasta de muchas cosas, pero más que nada de estar conmigo. Nunca imaginé tan diferente y hermosa vida. Nunca imaginé sentir tanto amor.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. - John F. Kennedy
Cooking in our flat, October 2011
Kernel of Corn - Grano de Maíz 3
I am thankful for the new home we will have beginning next week. We will continue to live in the center of a Roman walled city that boasts a fabulous cathedral, a bishop's palace designed by Antonio Gaudí, a section of the pilgrimage road to Santiago de Compostela where the remains of St. James are said to be buried, a wonderful museum and heritage of chocolate, balconies, tiled roofs, plazas and more. This place is eye candy and my camera is with me wherever I go.
Estoy agradecida por la nueva casa que tendremos al principio de la próxima semana. Continuaremos viviendo en el centro de una ciudad romana amurallada, que luce una fabulosa catedral, un palacio episcopal obra de Antonio Gaudí, un tramo del camino de peregrinación a Santiago de Compostela donde se dice que están los restos del Apóstol Santiago, un maravilloso museo y patrimonio de chocolate, balcones, tejados de teja, plazas y más. Este lugar es dulce para los ojos y mi cámara está conmigo donde quiera que yo vaya.

Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way. - Native American Saying
Astorga, Spain,  October 2011
So, what are your Kernels of Corn this year?  I hope you share them here.
Hoping you have a VERY BLESSED THANKSGIVING!
Así que, ¿Cuáles son tus Granos de Maíz este año? Espero que los compartas aquí.
Deseando que tengas un DÍA DE ACCIÓN DE GRACIAS MUY BENDECIDO!

1 comment:

  1. Feliz día de Acción de Gracias para los dos, un enorme saludo.

    ReplyDelete